The ORYZA version 3, which was released in August 2013, is packaged with tools and associated training materials that make it more user-friendly than the previous versions. The capabilities of ORYZA are enhanced to handle large scale simulations. Additional functions in ORYZA v3 provide additional assistance to research relevant to climate change and rice breeding.
Program goal and objectives
This training aims to improve and extend the skills of the ORYZA users for more advanced application studies, which may require thousands or even millions of simulations. The training will include:
- Managing large scale simulations with ORYZA: Data handling, input file organization, simulation management, and output analysis for regional grid-cell simulations;
- Using ORYZA for climate change study: Impact assessment and optimizing adaptation strategies for rice production under climate change;
- Using ORYZA for rice breeding: Evaluating the performance of breeding lines in a large number of environments, identifying the hot spots for dissemination of varieties, and differentiating the contribution of specific breeding traits; and
- Using ORYZA for crop management optimization: Optimizing cropping calendar, planting density, and water and nitrogen application for a specific site.
The training program will be conducted based on lecture-exercise cycle for one week (10 to 14 November 2014).
Laptop requirements for the participant:
The participant must bring his/her own laptop:
- The participant must be an administrator of his/her computer for problem-free software installation;
- The Operating System requirement:
- Laptop specs:
- Windows XP, Windows 7 or Windows 8;
- Microsoft Office 2007 or 2010 professional edition; and
- VBA package is required
- RAM ≥ 2GB;
- free hard drive space ≥ 50GB; and
- must be WIFI-enabled
- Basic understanding of crop modeling; and
- Basic knowledge in using ORYZA Rice Model for rice production simulation; or
- Has already taken the ORYZA training program for beginners.
Training Information Contact
Dr. Tao Li
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines
For online registration and announcement
- Click here for online registration
- Click here for training information